Directory Submission

I created a couple new web sites last week. And I wanted to get them indexed by Google quickly. So I started with a tried and true method. I linked to them from an existing web site I control. However I wanted to do a little bit more to get these sites on the Google radar. So I went ahead and submitted them to some web directories.

The priority of which directories I submit to is based on the page rank of the directories. The first stop is always the Open Directory Project (aka DMOZ). This directory is a monster page rank 8. The rest of the directories I target are almost all page rank 5. Some of these are more difficult to submit to than others. For example, some of them try to confuse you to get you to click their Google AdSense ads. However some of them are very easy to submit to. One really simple directory to use if InfoTiger.

Most of the time, the submissions just put my requests in a queue for review. At some time in the future a human or an automated process reviews my requests and acts upon it if I pass their guidelines. I found two directories to be very fast at accepting and posting my requests in their directories. These fast response directories are Search Sight and Jaborwhalky. For fast results I recommend them.

It is a painful and time consuming process to manually submit my new URLs to directories. I wish this process could be automated for me. I have seen some software to do this in the past. However I am not sure how good that software is. I would hate to have an automated program mess up my directory submissions. Perhaps I need to do some more research on the offerings in this area. More likely I will have to roll my own program. I am a developer after all. But that will take some time.