Web Sites Which Sell

I heard about a "free" eBook from Entrepreneur magazine which teaches how to build web sites that sell. So I went to get mine. Turns out Microsoft Live is the sponsor of this free book. And I had to sign up for Microsoft Live. That itself was a pain since they wanted my e-mail address. Once I got the book and read it, I was surprised how little value the book put on Search Engine Optimization.

Perhaps in the big picture, SEO is only a little fish in the marketing pond. The book had a lot of well known web site design principles like KISS. It highly recommended a lot of headlines to catch the reader's eye. One thing it advised which I really have not thought about was to ensure your sight works well with many browsers. Time to check all my pages with FireFox.

Currently I am generating a number of web sites to boost inbound links to my main sites. When I finish building a web site, I submit it to The Big Three: Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft. However the book I read also suggested that I submit URLs to AOL and Ask.com as well. I am not sure if these extra steps are really required. I really should know this as I have read a couple books that cover this. What do you think?